About Me

My photo
Photographer based in South Wales, UK. Working mainly on a single beach - Poppit Sands.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Equipment - important?

After an exhausting few weeks working on the London images I have been relaxing with a small point and shoot camera. I find that the different camera produces a different approach - which got me thinking about how often I hear that the equipment is not important - it is the photographer that takes the photograph.

I am starting to think that this is not true, and maybe just a cliche that people like to throw into the conversation. From my experience the equipment has a profound effect on the work. I feel that the equipment I use is essential in shaping my approach and therefore the final image - from its size, shape and features to its limitations and overall design. I know for a fact that the way the old Hasselblad 500CM felt in my hands effected the way I photographed at Poppit. If I had used a different camera the shots would have been different.

So, for me anyway, I think that the equipment that I use is essential for making a photograph look a certain way.

No comments:

Post a Comment